Pages

Friday 4 March 2011

green and barren theatreland

The only film I remember walking out of because it was so bad it was winding me up was Woody Allen's Match Point. So I dont know why Gustavo and I didnt both walk out of Greenland, a play he sweetly bought me tickets to as a birthday present, but which we both agreed was the worst play we had ever seen. And that's saying something. On our first date we bonded over some really pretentious physical theatre at one of the V&A's late night events.

Angelhead Hipsters

Perhaps it was because we were at the National Theatre, it was my birthday, the tickets were expensive and we hadnt mastered a signal that we wanted to get the hell out and go drinking instead.

My heart sunk slightly when I heard it was about climate change. This has been my day job for many years now and I'm aware of the difficulties of making climate change interesting or funny. But I went with an open mind.

Analysing it afterwards we decided the only message, the only point, that it successfully communicated was how hard it is to communicate anything meaningful or interesting about climate change.

What most people have in common is a love of stories. Everyone can relate to emotions and a good tale. Climate change isnt a good story. Its a very complicated, technical science. How we react to it, or not, though can be interesesting. Our relationship with the planet, with nature, with understanding risk - these are all interesting to me..but to make good theatre requires a bit more respect for the audience than imaginative uses of multimedia. The only, tragically few, moments that drew you in were the personal stories of a scientists monitoring the birds in the Arctic and a political advisor and a climate modeller falling in love. But they left you hanging, only superficially skating over, like the birds flying around the theatre, film projections of the real birds.

I'd rather theatre inspired, made me laugh or created heroes. But a earnest attempt to dramatise an issue just because its important? I couldnt help feeling frustrated at the waste of time, talent, money and the audience good will. If anyone else has seen it and disagrees i'd love to know.

When we left the play we came across a fantastic photography exhibition of the beat poets. That made up for the visit. I had no idea Kerouac looked like a film star.




No comments:

Post a Comment