Pages

Friday 4 February 2011

21st Century Wooden Houses

I've been hoping the fashion for glass and steel would wear out for years. It depresses me every time I see another massive glass and steel box going up in London. They all look the same to me, so unimaginative, the only excitement over childish competition for the 'biggest yet' or a novelty shape - ooh, a 'shard', ooh, a 'gerkin'. But they are all so cold and shiny, with all those strip lights glaring out. I don't hate all glass and steel buildings, and I love the contrast of glass against old stone. But could we not have some more variety and texture, and some more imagination.

And the intensity of the process, the extraction of the resources, the manufacture, transport, construction, the labour, makes you wince.

So I was intrigued to read about the first wooden high rise building in my neighbourhood in Hackney. Looks great and is so much more environmentally friendly. Hope its a great place to live.


No comments:

Post a Comment