Pages

Thursday 4 August 2011

magic in the waiting spaces

I've just returned from a trip to Italy by train and recalled a time I was waiting for the eurostar.

 I was sitting reading the paper and drinking coffee, waiting for the platform to be announced. In front of me a tired looking, slightly overweight, grey haired guy was leisurely tuning his trombone. The next time I looked up he had vanished. I wondered idly whether this was a busker or just a musician very precious about his instrument.

A short while later the same man appeared in a garishly floral waistcoat, and started warming up on his trombone.

A couple sitting near him also waiting, the woman jokingly asks "Are you the travelling circus then?"

"I'm seeing off the train to disneyland", the musician replied, "The magic starts here."

"So do you feel magical?" she says.

"No. Been doing this for 15 years," and then starts up with his music.

No comments:

Post a Comment